Re: So, what's up with the XFree86 4.0 .debs?

Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:
> Also, in case it was unclear in my previous mail, I have no plans to
> support full versions of XFree86 3.3.x and 4.x in the same Debian release.
> By the time official 4.0 .debs are ready, it is my hope that the legacy
> chipsets currently only supported in 3.3.x will be supported in 4.x as
> well.  3.3.x libc5-compatibility libraries will be provided for i386 and
> m68k per my previous mail until and unless consensus is reached that this
> support should be dropped.

I thought the plan was to drop support for ISA VGA cards in 4.x, so people
who want to keep using old hardware HAVE to stick with 3.3.x

I am not actually suggesting that you try and maintain both. It would make the
upgrade path easier if everything had a 4 in it, so that people stay with
3.3.x and do not move until they decide they want the new version. I mean how
do you plan to handle the fact that the config file format has changed? Does
anybody have a converter?

On the other hand, I suppose it is probably useful to force people to upgrade
to the new version. The old version will probably not be maintained upstream.

You are going to keep /usr/X11R6 for this release right? I guess that the
XFree86 people might get a bit irritated if you tried to drop it.

(No, I am not using an ISA VGA card. No, I do not know anybody who is using
one. But, I did use X 3.3.x on a EGA card for a while, I see that xega is not
even in the archive now.)

--
while :;do read x;echo \?;done