Danger, Branden Robinson! Danger!

On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 06:18:25PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
[...]
> - X 4.0 drivers (but probably just X servers, to minimize changes; Branden
>   has huge reorganizations in mind for X)

Ha ha ha ha.  "Just X servers"?  You haven't been reading the news.  :)

There is only one server binary in XFree86 4.0.

The "huge reorganizations" are almost all going to revolve around that X
server binary, too.

There are exactly ONE HUNDRED server modules built by the stock 4.0 source
tree.

No, I don't know yet what exactly I'm going to do about that.

I've considered checking myself into a mental hospital, rendered a cackling
lunatic by the weight this thing is going to put on our packaging
infrastructure (well, not so much that as the weight it will put on user
comprehension).

If we're going to come up with something better than task packages, I need
it.  Now.

Supporting the 3.3.x server with 4.0 libraries and clients would in fact be
easier than the other way around.

> Please speak up if you like this idea.

I like it fine as long as I don't have to commit to any particular strategy
regarding 4.0.  I only really got my hands dirty with it today, and it is
far too soon for me to speculate sensibly on details of what the final
packages will look like.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    The only way to get rid of a temptation
Debian GNU/Linux               |    is to yield to it.