Re: console-apt

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 10:40:18PM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> the thing that john is missing is that the learning curve for dselect is
> practically vertical. the key bindings are anything bug obvious. to a user
> who is unfimiliar with the way debian packages work, dselect is a
> impenetrable wall. this is the worst place to have a confusing interface.
> when dselect is first presented to the user, the system isn't even capable
> of reading manual pages. i shudder to think what someone new to linux would
> think, not only of debian but of free software in general. sure it's stable,
> but so what. if you can't figure out how to use it, it might as well be
> crashing. IMHO, we need a better tool.

Exactly. When I wass at CeBIT a lot of persons told me, that they _never_
would use Debian again only because dselect isn't intuitive at all for new
users that have never used Debian. If you know dselect, it's easy to use
and you able to install packages, figuring out dependencies, etc. very
quick.
In my opinion something intuitive like console-apt or aptitude should be
used to make it easy for everybody to install packages first. So, it
should be the default package frontend for new users.
All experienced users can use dselect, apt-get, and everything what they
like to install packages.

Greetings, Roland

--
Roland Bauerschmidt -- Freiberger Str. 17, 28215 Bremen, Germany
e-mail: roland@copyleft.de, phone: +49 421 3763482, fax: +49 421 3763483

Debian GNU / Linux -- the choice of a GNU generation