Re: console-apt

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 10:40:18PM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> the thing that john is missing is that the learning curve for dselect is
> practically vertical. the key bindings are anything bug obvious.

The very worst of which is that `space' exits help... not common, not
consistent, and IMHO not intuitive...

> to a user who is unfimiliar with the way debian packages work, dselect is
> a impenetrable wall. this is the worst place to have a confusing
> interface.

It doesn't have a confusing interface - it is just a wee bit too
complicated. Just look at the amount of information displayed.

But, the F1 key or `?' keys don't help much.

> when dselect is first presented to the user, the system isn't even capable
> of reading manual pages. i shudder to think what someone new to linux
> would think, not only of debian but of free software in general. sure it's
> stable, but so what. if you can't figure out how to use it, it might as
> well be crashing. IMHO, we need a better tool.

For now, we need better and more readable help in the tool, and I'm
working on it. :)

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name