Re: "Speeding up dpkg" or "ldconfig -l in postinst allowed ?"

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 09:15:58PM -0600, David Starner was heard to say:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 08:50:49PM -0600, David Engel wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 01:31:13PM +0100, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> > > I see. Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to speed up ldconfig by
> > > introducing some kind of incremental rebuilding of the cache ? Without
> >
> > Not really, or at least not easily.
> >
> > > having looked at the source, I have the impression that currently ldconfig
> > > completely rebuilds the complete cache from scratch on every invocation.
> >
> > What is needed is a way to have ldconfig once at the end whenever any
> > shared libraries are installed.  Such a feature would also benefit
> > other packages such as menu which need to do something after all
> > packages are installed.
>
> It's been considered. Consider libc6. If you don't run ldconfig after
> installing libc6, you may have problems with any demons that try
> and start before you run ldconfig. Same problems with an assorted
> number of library/program combinations.

  Why not run ldconfig first then? (I think I said this last time someone
brought this up and no-one had any objection then)

  Daniel

--
  Moths and flame.
  The glory blinds them.