Re: "Speeding up dpkg" or "ldconfig -l in postinst allowed ?"

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 08:50:49PM -0600, David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 01:31:13PM +0100, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> > I see. Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to speed up ldconfig by
> > introducing some kind of incremental rebuilding of the cache ? Without
>
> Not really, or at least not easily.
>
> > having looked at the source, I have the impression that currently ldconfig
> > completely rebuilds the complete cache from scratch on every invocation.
>
> What is needed is a way to have ldconfig once at the end whenever any
> shared libraries are installed.  Such a feature would also benefit
> other packages such as menu which need to do something after all
> packages are installed.

It's been considered. Consider libc6. If you don't run ldconfig after
installing libc6, you may have problems with any demons that try
and start before you run ldconfig. Same problems with an assorted
number of library/program combinations.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with