"Speeding up dpkg" or "ldconfig -l in postinst allowed ?"

The packaging manual says about shared libraries (12.):

     Any package installing shared libraries in a directory that's listed
     in '/etc/ld.so.conf' or in one of the default library directories of
     ld.so' (currently, these are '/usr/lib' and '/lib') must call
     'ldconfig' in its 'postinst' script if and only if the first argument
     is 'configure'.

Now even on my 300MHz K6, an 'ldconfig' takes 30 seconds (that's with about
1000 shared libraries installed).

That means, if 'apt-get upgrade' decides to install 20 library packages,
only the ever repeated ldconfig makes the setup 10 minutes longer.

Is there a reason not to use "ldconfig -l library" instead, to update
individual libraries only ? The ldconfig man page says "Intended for use by
experts only.", but gives no good explanation of the problems.

I guess that would double speed of a typical apt-get upgrade session.

    Gregor