Re: "Speeding up dpkg" or "ldconfig -l in postinst allowed ?"

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 11:57:31AM -0600, David Engel wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 05:37:35PM +0100, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> > Is there a reason not to use "ldconfig -l library" instead, to update
> > individual libraries only ? The ldconfig man page says "Intended for use by
> > experts only.", but gives no good explanation of the problems.
>
> 'ldconfig -l' is inteneded to repair a single library's link in an
> emergency.  It basically removes the need for a static ln command.
> What it doesn't do is rebuild ld.so.cache which is what is needed when
> a new library is installed.

I see. Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to speed up ldconfig by
introducing some kind of incremental rebuilding of the cache ? Without
having looked at the source, I have the impression that currently ldconfig
completely rebuilds the complete cache from scratch on every invocation.
Would it be possible to use the timestamps to rework only the changed
entries, or to add an manual mode that updates only the entry of a single
library ?

    Gregor