Re: Bug severities (was: Re: wterm in potato)

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 09:16:34AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 01:25:11PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > FWIW, I think the main use of the `important' level should be for policy
> > violations, rather than usability or security issues (which are already
> > covered by critical and grave). [...]
> I'd add data-loss conditions to this definition.

``grave -- [...] causes data loss [...]'' (Critical is for severe data loss)

(/usr/share/doc/debian/bug-maint-info.txt, from doc-debian.deb)

> (E.g., there have been
> some fileutils bugs that can cause files to disappear under the right
> (wrong?) circumstances. The circumstances are fairly obscure, so the
> package is usable most of the time, but IMHO anything that can cause
> files to vanish is release-critical.)

I'd think grave would be right for this.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds