Re: Bug severities (was: Re: wterm in potato)

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 01:25:11PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> FWIW, I think the main use of the `important' level should be for policy
> violations, rather than usability or security issues (which are already
> covered by critical and grave). Things like `package is in main, but not
> DFSG-free' doesn't fit either of `critical' or `grave', but is pretty
> certainly release-critical. Some other sections of policy probably apply
> too: not having a copyright file, not have a changelog, really severe
> non-compliance with the FSSTND/FHS perhaps (/opt/foo, say). Some others
> obviously don't, of course: not every missing manpage is worth culling
> the distribution over.

I'd add data-loss conditions to this definition. (E.g., there have been
some fileutils bugs that can cause files to disappear under the right
(wrong?) circumstances. The circumstances are fairly obscure, so the
package is usable most of the time, but IMHO anything that can cause
files to vanish is release-critical.)

--
Mike Stone