Re: /usr/local again

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 01:33:57PM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:

> > That would be inconsistent. If you install a package and later decide that
> > you don't need it removing the package should get rid of any directories
> > it created in /usr/local IF they are empty.
>
> how would that be inconsistent? no package should ever create those
> directories.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your last mail (namely the directory stub thing:
you mentioned only toplevel dirs in /usr/local).

> local administrators, which are different that system developers (us), have

Note that I am local administrator on quite some Debian boxes as well. And
I would like the feature of having /usr/local/foo created to stay.

> the right to create/delete/rot13 anything under /usr/local. we have

rot13 - hey, that would be cool :)

> absolutely no authority in that heirarchy except at initial installation
> time, before the root password even gets set for the first time.

I disagree.

> we do have the authority to create packages that will optionally link to
> libraries there, use fonts from there, etc. read only however. do you see
> the distinction?

Yep - that is what I gathered from your first mail. While you seem to like
that better I want to have /usr/local populated. I don't want to search
the docs just for a directory name. find /usr/local -name site-lisp works
better than finding that information in the docs.

Thanks

    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member