Re: /usr/local again

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 09:31:48PM -0500, Steve Robbins wrote:

> I don't understand what you mean by "extension".  Either /usr/local is
> strictly for local use, or it is not.  Either I can trust that Debian will
> never touch anything in /usr/local, or I cannot.

Debian will never touch anything in /usr/local EXCEPT directories. It will
create them if they don't exist and remove them if they are empty. Should
that fail you will at most get a warning.

This is Debian policy - if it does not appeal to you please complain on
debian-policy and ask to have it changed. I do not really care what the
solution will be. The biggest importance for me is consistency.

OTOH we will have a big inconsistency if we change this since many packages
are not very actively maintained.

> If Debian is going to adopt a different point of view, well, then so be
> it.  But the policy document language needs to be cleaned up in that case.
> And Debian cannot claim to be FHS compliant.

Even SuSE claims to be FHS compliant. I can't see why creating directories in
/usr/local makes us non-compliant.

> It is a matter of taste.
> This admin doesn't it convenient.

Maybe the right solution then is to make this configurable.

cu
    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member