Re: /usr/local again

Torsten Landschoff (t.landschoff@gmx.net) wrote:
> That would be inconsistent. If you install a package and later decide that
> you don't need it removing the package should get rid of any directories
> it created in /usr/local IF they are empty.

how would that be inconsistent? no package should ever create those
directories.

local administrators, which are different that system developers (us), have
the right to create/delete/rot13 anything under /usr/local. we have
absolutely no authority in that heirarchy except at initial installation
time, before the root password even gets set for the first time.

we do have the authority to create packages that will optionally link to
libraries there, use fonts from there, etc. read only however. do you see
the distinction?

--
(jacob kuntz)                    jake@{megabite,underworld}.net jpk@cape.com
(megabite systems)     "think free speech, not free beer." (gnu foundataion)