Re: apt-get update, a wishlist feature as tag in cvs

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 04:26:46PM +0100, Fabrice Gautier was heard to say:
> As a user, i think this is paintfull. For example if i wanted to
> upgrade all my packages only when the upstream version number change
> and not when only the debian version number change i would have to go
> throught every packages and check version numbers then "unhold" all
> the packages that have a new upstream version number,then install the
> whole, then "hold" them bask i want to ugrade. Or, if i was a
> developer, i would a script to do the same thing.. and this packages
> would be call apt-get-upstream-update or so on....

  Hmm, so what you want is a way to upgrade a package without losing
the 'stickiness' of the hold state?  I really, *really* think this is a
good idea, and it's not hard /technically/ to do, but I don't see an
obvious UI for it; if you can come up with one (or if I can :) ) I'll
incorporate it into aptitude.

  Daniel

--
"...I was grown tired of London, remember'd with Pleasure the happy Months
 I had spent in Pennsylvania, and wish'd again to see it."