Re: apt-get update, a wishlist feature as tag in cvs

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 02:01:54PM +0800, zhaoway wrote:
> Is there a feature for ``apt-get upgrade'' as the ``tag'' in the world
> of CVS? I'd like to have this feature, because:
>
> 1) Some packages update very often, and I just use them not so much
> often, that I don't want to keep up with every patch level of it.
> especially when this patch is just a packaging patch. ;-)
>
> 2) Some packages are very big for dial-up users, for us, the ``cvs dist-
> upgrade'' usualy being ``blocked'' by them. And there is really not so
> many critical reasons for everyone to keep up with every patch level
> while trying keeping h{is,er} system ``relatively'' update.

run dselect and mark as "Hold" (press H) any packages which you don't
want to be automatically upgraded.

alternatively, use the following shell script to do the same thing:

#! /bin/bash

# dpkg-hold  --  command line tool to flag package(s) as held.
#
# by Craig Sanders, 1998-10-26.  This script is hereby placed into the
# public domain.
#
# BUGS: this script has absolutely no error checking.  this is not good.

if [ -z "$*" ] ; then
	echo "Usage:"
	echo "      dpkg-hold <package...>"
	exit 1
fi

for i in $@ ; do
	echo "$i	hold"
done | dpkg --set-selections

Held packages will NOT be automatically upgraded by 'apt-get
dselect-upgrade' or 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. they can, however, still be
upgraded manually. remember to mark it Hold again after upgrading. e.g
if the cvs and emacs20 packages are held and you want to upgrade it,
run:

	apt-get install cvs emacs20
	dpkg-hold cvs emacs20

craig