Re: Packages removed from frozen

On Thu 10 Feb 2000, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> On  9/02, Paul Slootman wrote:
> | On Wed 09 Feb 2000, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> |
> | > Cool, GNAT qualifies once more, as it needs to be here to build itself
> | > and other tools such as asis, gch, libgtkada, adasockets, etc. :)
> |
> | ... which is why all of those packages don't have much chance of ever
> | appearing in debian/alpha.
>
> I don't get your point: why couldn't GNAT be supported on Alpha? True64 is
> fully supported by GNAT, Linux/{x86,Sparc,PPC} too, and Debian/Alpha is
> supported by GCC, so a cross compiler should not be hard to make for the
> initial port (as I did for Sparc and someone else for PPC).

A cross compiler for linux/alpha from a 32-bits linux isn't possible (at
least for gcc; gcc can't handle a cross-compiler for a system with
different pointer etc size).

I don't have tru64; most of the debian/alpha people don't. So there
aren't many options left open. But don't let that stop you, there are a
number of alpha systems for use by developers.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/