Re: Packages removed from frozen

>>"David" == David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> writes:

 >> Could one reason be that it can't be built from source?

 David> But it can be built from source - it just needs itself
 David> installed first.  Several packages have this problem; while
 David> you could remove SML, PM3 and Free Pascal without extreme
 David> pain, I think removing gcc might cause some problems.

        gcc would be something that I would be willing to give special
 dispensation for - espescially since I know it tests itself on
 passes 2 and 3. Gcc is, therefore, part of the set of packages we
 call build essentials.

        However, this is not a dispensation that should be lightly
 given. Bootstrapping from scratch should be kept to a bare minimum of
 preinstalled packages -- the build essentials.

        manoj
--
 A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.