Re: Packages removed from frozen

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 10:20:20PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         gcc would be something that I would be willing to give special
>  dispensation for - espescially since I know it tests itself on
>  passes 2 and 3. Gcc is, therefore, part of the set of packages we
>  call build essentials.
>
>         However, this is not a dispensation that should be lightly
>  given. Bootstrapping from scratch should be kept to a bare minimum of
>  preinstalled packages -- the build essentials.

What do you mean "dispensation"? You're trying to add a special rule
that programs can't build-depends themselves, which isn't found or implied
anywhere in the DFSG or Social Contract. In fact, it contradicts the Social
Contract, which says we will support our users.

Do I think bootstrapping compilers is wise? No. But I do think that
it's unfair and foolish for Debian to stop supporting them for
arbitrary reasons. If Debian has the maintainers to support, there
is no reason not to include them.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with