Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org (was: Re: KDE)

Montreal Wed Mar 10 16:45:48 1999

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 01:59:20PM -0500, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> >
> > This one is just plain silly when you think about it.  We already had
> > a non-free directory, but suddenly that's not enough and we need a new
> > virtual domain.
>

> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/contrib
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/non-free
>
> This implies that all three are equal, which is not the message we want to
> give.

I guess you could see it that way, although main and non-free have
rather clear meanings if you ask me.

When I first installed Debian (was it 1.1?  1.2? I don't even remember
for sure), all this was explained clearly at some point, probably the
installation process.  It was clear from the start that the three were
not equal and that only main was endorsed.

I guess different virtual hostnames would provide an even more
unambiguous meaning, although I'm not sure it's not silly.

-N.