Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 05:47:30PM -0800, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> It's not a speed issue for me, it's a quality-of-user-interface issue.

given the number of binaries on the system, it's hard to imagine how it
could be qualitatively different either way. but i'll take your word for
it if you say it's a significant issue for you.

of course, if it bothered you then you could edit /etc/profile and
remove the unwanted directories from $PATH.

> > it beats moving binaries from where they have been for years.
>
> I disagree.  This is just the sort of thing symlinks are good for.

so we should symlink several/many/all binaries from /sbin and /usr/sbin
into /bin and /usr/bin simply to avoid adding two extra directories to
$PATH?

sounds ludicrous to me. better to do nothing rather than mis-solve a
problem - the current situation isn't too bad...certainly nowhere near
as this proposed "solution".

craig

--
craig sanders