Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 10:33:31PM +0100, Remco van de Meent wrote:

> Huh?  I'm only quoting FHS. Which we seem to try to follow, according
> to the Policy every Debian maintainer has to obeye (why bother having
> Policy otherwise). FHS clearly sais that programs that are being run
> by ordinary users should be in *bin, not in *sbin. So the fix to the
> problem is IMHO not that *sbin is put in PATH, but that traceroute et
> al are moved.

the trouble with that "fix" is that it is likely to break local scripts
which call /sbin/ifconfig and others directly - i know i've written
scripts which do this just to avoid any path problems caused by the
default path not including /sbin and /usr/sbin.

adding "/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin" to the PATH solves the problem
and is unlikely to cause any other problems - permissions will prevent
any misuse of dangerous tools. like many others, adding this to the
PATH in /etc/profile is one of the first things i do when i build a new
system.

craig

--
craig sanders