Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

On 19-Dec-99, 21:45 (CST), Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
> of course, if it bothered you then you could edit /etc/profile and
> remove the unwanted directories from $PATH.

Of course, if the lack of /sbin in your path bothers you, you could edit
/etc/profile and add the wanted directories to $PATH.

Okay, now that I have that out of my system, it seems to me that given
the heat of the arguments and lack of consensus, we probably ought not
change /etc/profile. We probably ought to move traceroute and few others
to /usr/bin, as they do provide useful info to non-admin users. But
I think for things like ifconfig, which is *primarily* of use to the
admin, and probably has a hard-coded path in some scripts, it's not that
big of a deal for "normal" users to either enhance their PATH (if they
use it a lot) or just type /sbin/ifconfig occasionally.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read