Re: Package Pool Proposal

On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 09:14:39PM -0500, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
> > it makes it a whole lot more difficult to mirror only the binaries
> > without source.
>
> This is generally not allowed under the GPL.  A distributor is
> generally responsible for distributing or making the source available
> themselves.

i'll be polite and simply say that this is not true.

just because source is available does not mean i should be forced to
mirror it. i mirror debian at work so that i can keep my debian machines
updated from unstable. i also mirror it at home for the same reason.

why should my employer, or myself, be forced to to pay volume charges to
download sources which we rarely use (cost is approx 20 cents/MB)? if i
want the source for a particular package, then i will download it when i
need it.

craig

--
craig sanders