Re: Package Pool Proposal

Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com> writes:

> > This is generally not allowed under the GPL.  A distributor is
> > generally responsible for distributing or making the source available
> > themselves.
>
> Would this really apply to mirrors?  I am not so sure it would.  Do
> all Debian mirrors need to include all the source for all the
> packages?  Does a mirror count as a distributor?

People generally have goodwill; nobody is trying to cheat.  The
general perception is that if one server is up and reachable, all the
others must be too.  That general perception happens to be incorrect,
and it does happen that the GPL intentionally requires people to not
have to run hither and yon to track down the source, but I also don't
think that anybody is going to get seriously upset about the way
binary-only mirrors are done.

I do think, however, that they should be strongly discouraged.