polyworld (ai) as package?

Polyworld was an AL simulation running on an Apple II around '90. I think, that
it would be fun to build a package, since I'm interested in artificial
evolution.

It was written by Larry Yaeger, at the Santa Fe Institute.
(http://alife.santafe.edu/alife/software/polyworld.html) (the link is old). As
far as I've seen noone has worked on it since '94. The source is available on
the web.

The idea of working on it occured to me, by finding a link on the WNPP page to
the santa fe page. (I wanted to make something similar like polyworld myself,
but maybe this is a better approach, learning first from the big guys).

My questions:
1. Is anybody working on this (not that I found anything, just checking).

2. How do I approach Yaeger to ask him to release the code (under GPL), so I
(and others) could work on it?

3. (I've read the Developer's Reverence)
If I get the permission, what do I do then? (application is said to take a long
time).

Thanks a lot

Greg