Installing onto unsupported drives

The company I work for is getting a new high end system for our web site
which I'll be installing Debian onto(been using Debian here for over a year).

Problem:

The new machine is a Compaq Proliant that uses a Compaq Smart Array 3200
Controller to run it's SCSI drives.

The Array controller is supported by Linux under kernels 2.2.5-ish and beyond.

The issue is that Debian currently uses Linux 2.0 on the slink installs,
which would prevent me from accessing the drives.

Do we have any beta boot disks in potato I can use to get this thing running?

If not, is creating your own custom boot disks with odd device support that
big of an issue(any docs on this)?

Or should I approach this by slapping a gig IDE drive into the machine,
install a base Debian potato build onto that, migrate to the SCSI drives and
rip out the IDE?

I would love to hear advice from anyone else who's had to work around this
sort of hard drive support issue.

Thanks,
Mark Mealman

--
Gates' Law: Every 18 months, the speed of software halves.