Cyrus 1.5.19 packages available for testing

Hi all

After much work I've put together a set of Cyrus 1.5.19 packages. I've
tested them quite a lot over the last week, but I want to make sure they're
100% OK before uploading to master. They're available from
http://www.edrc.uct.ac.za/~mj/debian/

Could anyone who is interested please take a look at them and let me
know if they do/don't work for you? Please remember these are still
in development (although everything I've tested seems to work). Please
let me know if there's anything that could have been packaged a bit
better, etc.

The PAM stuff is a bit of a hack, but it works for me. You'll need
to setup the /usr/sbin/pwcheck link to point to pwcheck_pam to
enable it.

Please check the license before you use Cyrus as it's not DFSG free.

Here's the README:

---

Cyrus for Debian
----------------

This is the latest stable non-SASL-requiring version of Cyrus. Current
releases require cyrus-sasl which doesn't yet build cleanly.

General notes:
o In addition to pwcheck_standard (the old pwcheck), there is also a
  pwcheck_pam (hacked by me) which supports authenticating via PAM. They
  are managed using the alternatives system, so the init script calls
  /usr/sbin/pwcheck. I could split them into separate packages, but I
  thought that would be unnecessary pollution of the package namespace.
o pwcheck_standard is installed as default.
o pwcheck_pam uses the PAM service name of "cyrus"
o Instead of running as root, pwcheck_standard is setgid shadow and runs
  as cyrus (it only needs to be root to access shadow passwd info,
  something that can be done by group shadow on a Debian GNU system). As
  pwcheck_pam authenticates via PAM, I've made it run as root (it's not
  setuid/setgid though).
o imapd and pop3d are TCP-wrapped by default.
o Cyrus logs with facility MAIL instead of LOCAL6.
o In order to prevent namespace conflicts, I've renamed deliver to
  cyrdeliver and quota to cyrquota (this is in keeping with the upstream
  naming of cyradm). Cyrus-related examples all use "deliver" as the name
  of the delivery agent, so remember to change them.
o You need to specify your admin users in /etc/imapd.conf before you can
  add mailboxes.
o I've left out Kerberos support because I don't use it. If anyone would
  like me to compile it in and is willing to test, please let me know
  (of course then we'll have to move cyrus to non-us).
o No Zephyr support. If there's enough demand, I can add it but I didn't
  want to add another unnecessary dependency.
o NNTP support hasn't been tested, but it should work.
o Don't export your spool over NFS (read the FAQ for more info).
o You may want to enable synchronous metadata writes to your spool dirs
  (check /usr/share/doc/cyrus-common/install.txt for more info).
o I've only tested it with postfix. I think Exim will work out the
  box, but with sendmail you may need to add user "daemon" to the mail
  group.

Build notes:
o I've modified the Makefiles so that one doesn't need a cyrus user to
  build.

This is still very experimental - please let me know if it does/doesn't
work for you.

 -- Michael-John Turner <mj@debian.org>, Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:26:47 +0200

---

-mj