Re: equivalent of *BSD's 'make world' in debian?

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 05:31:38PM +0100, Goswin Brederlow was heard to say:
> Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> writes:
>
> >   There's actually yet another problem: next time you do apt-get upgrade, apt
> > will recognize that the md5sum of your local package doesn't match the one on
> > the ftp server and kindly clobber your changes!  I think that until it marks
> > packages built locally from source as such this isn't going to be feasable on
> > a large scale.
>
> Does apt-get actually download a package of which the same version is
> already installed?

  Yup.  I've also been bitten by this one.

> Also what happens if you have a local apt repository with all your
> selfbuild packages in it? Apt-get would get multiple entries for one
> package with the same version. Which one would it use? The first? The
> last? The most recent?

  Yuck. :) I think you'd have to look through the apt-pkg source to figure this
out.  My (un)educated guess is that it'll either take the first or the last one
it sees, probably based on the ordering in sources.list.  I have no real clue,
though.  Probably it's best to either test this empirically yourself or to
do 'apt-get source apt' and see how it works..

  Daniel