Re: equivalent of *BSD's 'make world' in debian?

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 01:39:16AM -0500, Greg Johnson was heard to say:

> >     Brent> is there any way to use debian's package system to do a
> >     Brent> from- source upgrade?
> >
> > Sure. Add:
> >
> > deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> >
> > (or stable if you're using stable)
> >
> > to /etc/apt/sources.list. Run an apt-get update, then:
> >
> > apt-get -b source packagename
> >
> > Done.
> >

> This works, but only one package at a time.  And the source dependencies
> are not currently handled automatically.  I guess buildd is closer to
> what he wants, but I don't think there's a *good* solution to this
> problem yet.  Once we have source dependencies in use, it should be no
> problem to rebuild the whole distribution.

  There's actually yet another problem: next time you do apt-get upgrade, apt
will recognize that the md5sum of your local package doesn't match the one on
the ftp server and kindly clobber your changes!  I think that until it marks
packages built locally from source as such this isn't going to be feasable on
a large scale.

  Daniel

--
Radicalism:
        The conservatism of tomorrow injected into the affairs of today.