Re: simple book question

From: Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu>
Subject: Re: simple book question
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:57:49 -0500

> > in the book they keep mentioning a 2 volume set of books called "The UNIX
> > Programmer's Manual".  the books run about ~45-50 US$ and im just wondering:
> > are they worth it?  i would recommend "The UNIX Programming Environment" to
> > anyone.  should i drop the coins on "The UNIX Programmer's Manual" VOL I &
> > II?
>
> I think they are referring to printed and bound versions of the Unix
> Version 7 manual pages.  I wouldn't mess with that.  Those go into detail
> and the details are what have changed over the past 15 years.  And,
> needless to say, the Debian manual pages are available for free.

Besides, you can now find them online so you may help killing some trees via
your local favorite printer. The Unix Version 7 manuals contains a number of
interesting articles which is good for historical reference but for most of the
stuff there is more up to date stuff. That I just *need* the V7 manuals is
another thing ;)

Check out Dennis Ritchies homepage at http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/
for a bunch of nice references to old Unix material. Some of this should be
in some document package to the Unix binaries for the PDP-11 simulation
package.

> W. Richard Stevens's books, however, are considered worth their weight in
> gold (especially impressive given that they're so heavy :) ).

I second that. Mr. Stevens books are very good and they certainly fill their
place well. "Advanced programing in the UNIX environment" as well as "UNIX
network programing - Interprocess Communications" are just two of his good
books.

Cheers,
Magnus