Re: simple book question

On Sun, Nov 14, 1999 at 04:27:12PM +0200, Ari Gold wrote:
> im in the process of learning as much as i can about unix, linux and debian.
> starting out in the beginning (like one should) im reading a book called
> "The UNIX Programming Environment" by Kerningham and Pike.  my guess is that
> you all are familiar with it.  nb: quite something when a book written in
> 1984 is still quite valuable today!

Yes, it is.  K&P also recently published _The Practice of Programming_,
which is also worth checking out.

> in the book they keep mentioning a 2 volume set of books called "The UNIX
> Programmer's Manual".  the books run about ~45-50 US$ and im just wondering:
> are they worth it?  i would recommend "The UNIX Programming Environment" to
> anyone.  should i drop the coins on "The UNIX Programmer's Manual" VOL I &
> II?

I think they are referring to printed and bound versions of the Unix
Version 7 manual pages.  I wouldn't mess with that.  Those go into detail
and the details are what have changed over the past 15 years.  And,
needless to say, the Debian manual pages are available for free.

W. Richard Stevens's books, however, are considered worth their weight in
gold (especially impressive given that they're so heavy :) ).

If you want to do development for Debian, I guess not.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   America is at that awkward stage.  It's
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   too late to work within the system, but