Re: ITP: Debian History

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 11:40:25PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 08-Nov-99, 19:23 (CST), David Starner <dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 06:12:05PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > > Oh, come on. Does anybody really browse the Optional and Extra package
> > > lists in dselect anymore? I doubt it.
> > So how does this justify putting it in Extra? "Because the system
> > is partially broken, it's all right if we break it more"?
>
> No, "The system is partially broken, let's not make it any worse". If we
> put more stuff in Optional, then it actually becomes *easier* to find
> stuff in Extra. That seems contradictory to me...

Not to me. Nothing says that it should be easier to find things in
Optional than Extra. The idea is just that there's no reason to
browse extra unless you're looking for something specific. If
we start dropping a large number of general purpose packages
into extra, that will be violated.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org