Re: ITP: Debian History

On 08-Nov-99, 08:53 (CST), Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 01:43:17PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > I think I
> > can justify it in this case based on the "already know what they are"
> > clause.
>
> No you can't.  A Debian history package is going to be interesting to
> many people who don't expect to find it as well as to all of those who
> know about it.

Oh, come on. Does anybody really browse the Optional and Extra package
lists in dselect anymore? I doubt it. You search, hoping that package
name contains something useful and semi-obvious. If I wanted to see what
the debian related packages were, I'd search for "debian", or "deb".
Assuming the history package is named "debian-history", I'd find it,
regardless of what priority it's at.

And actually, if I wanted to read the history of the Debian project, I'd
be looking at the website, not the package list.

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read