Re: Thwarting Policy via BTS

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> As far as I know, there is no document that sets down in stone when NMU's
> can be done.

This is intentional.

> They're just that: guidelines -- and there's a standard of
> conduct that is enforced socially, if people feel it is violated, by
> machanisms like the beginning of this thread.

Right.  I'm a big believer in culture and good citizenship imbuing us
with principles for interaction, rather than having more and more
regulations to guide this stuff.  That's why "good citizenship" stuff
(like NMU guidelines, porter guidelines, etc) are in the
developers-reference rather than debian-policy.

Also, I have more freedom to explore the guidelines without having to
worry about legalistic wording issues, or even getting it right the
first time! :)

Anyhow, if anyone wants to help me with the developers-reference,
please volunteer.  There is public CVS access, and I expect I'm going
to be quite busy between now and potato release.