Thwarting Policy via BTS

Thomas,

On Nov 2, at 17:52, you reported this bug #49019 as grave.  24 MINUTES
later you uploaded a NMU, without ever giving me a chance to confirm
that the problem existed, that your suggested fix is solves the
problem, and that said fix does not cause bugs elsewhere.  You also
did not do much testing as I do for each release, as the program build
and upload plus requisite testing to make sure it works could not
possibly have been done in 24 minutes.

According to the Debian Developer's Reference secion 7.3, "Bug fixes
to unstable by non-maintainers are also acceptable, but only as a last
resort or with permission."  I don't think that any reasonable person
would believe that 24 minutes is sufficient time to allow you to claim
this as a last resort.  In fact, the same section says you should wait
a couple of *WEEKS* for a response.

Furthermore, this bug was not by any stretch of the imagination grave.
The problem you describe effects a command for which a ready
alternative is present, working, and in fact used more frequently.
The definition of grave is that the bug "makes the package in question
unuseable or mostly so, or causes data loss, or introduces a security
hole allowing access to the accounts of users who use the package."
This problem meets none of these criteria; mail would flow normally
through any list like this and the admin may never even notice the
problem.  No data loss is caused; all messages and archives are still
intact, and no security hole is opened.  And, in fact, the bug doesn't
even meet the standard for "important".

In all, I want to say that I am not opposed to NMUs as such, and in
fact frequently support their usage.  However, when you give a
known-active maintainer 24 MINUTES to fix a bug that is not even
release-critical before doing an NMU, and furthermore do not do the
type of testing done before normally uploading this package, you are
negligent in your duties as an uploader, thwarting policy by bypassing
the maintainer process and control mechanism, and ignoring
responsibilities as a bug reporter.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
The 104,999,283rd prime number is 2,145,375,017.