Converting users, slink, etc

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 01:27:42AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > I feel the delay in the freeze a bad move on our part., I am to assume now
> > that the 'on the shelf boxed' version of Debian oreilly plans to release
> > is now going to be forced to include Debian 2.1 Slink. This is just not
> > going to be able to compete with the newer redhat 6.x releases., It
> > certainly isnt a good way  to start converting users to Debian, by trying
> > to sell them a dist with packages that are all a year old.
>
> Incidentally, I don't find converting users as a goal in our social
> contract.

It's right after the line that says we must lynch Bill Gates, pillage his
house, and distribute has hardware among the ranks (after decontamination
of course)  ;>

> Our goal is to be an excellent free software operating system.  User
> conversions aren't really part of it.  Which is not to say that that isn't
> a personal goal of many of us.  But it's not a *project* goal, as far as I
> know.

I genearally agree that it shouldn't be our primary consideration to have
the latest and best, however there's just enough hardware out there that
REQUIRES potato (or at least slink + .5) that we have to do something.
There are also security issues  and apparently an odd y2k issue or two in
slink.

This MUST be dealt with.  joeyh has a great solution, we need to implement
it.

--
- Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
- knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3