Re: FREEZE RESCHEDULED

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Chris Leishman wrote:

> > Let's freeze soon, continue working on boot-floppies, continue fixing
> > critical bugs in frozen, and continue to upload the new bugs to
> > unstable, where they belong.
> >

> I can't believe were not freezing.
>
> How dissapointing, particularily with the hype on /. that surrounded the
> announcement that we were...

Yeah.  It's a disappointment.

> If you want my opinion (which I admit probably isn't much) then we should
> freeze _now_.  So - the boot-floppies don't work 100% yet, but at least we
> have made a commitment to getting something done.  Besides, if I was the
> maintainer of a release-critical package, I would want everything nice and
> quiet in the distribution to fix some of these things.

There's no point at all.

> Also, if the boot-floppies are really holding this stuff up, can we
> devote more time / effort to them? (something that IMHO will happen when people
> realise that its the only thing holding a release up).  Perhaps at this point
> expecting a single maintainer to code it on his own is not enough...

The boot-floppies team have made appeals.  The release manager has made an
appeal.  I would be helping if I had the time.  I don't.

Freezing will not make more people materialise to work on the floppies.
It'll take as long as it takes. There is, incidentally, more than one
maintainer.

The point is, basically, something like this.  Suppose that, when we
freeze, it takes 2 months to get all bugs sorted out and ready for
release.  Suppose further (you can tell I'm a mathematician) that
boot-floppies and debian-cd are still 4 months away from being ready.  If
we freeze now, most pacakages will be in decent shape by the first week of
january. But we won't be ready for release until march. Then, we'll
release in march with the november versions of all packages.

Now suppose we freeze in january, boot floppies already being ready.
Then, we'll release in march, but have January versions of all packages.

See why freezing early doesn't help?

> Cmon - lets freeze this thing and make the world better...

If only it were that simple.

Jules