Re: all xterms

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 03:15:51PM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> U - oh, guru, how could i make programs use fooedit ?
> A - you have to set EDITOR to `fooedit'
> U - thanks, and how could i make programs use barpager ?
> A - you have to set PAGER to `barpager'
> U - thanks, and how could i make programs use quuxterm ?
> A - you have to make dir /bin in your home directory,
>     insert ~/bin at start of your PATH, and then make
>     a symlink to /usr/bin/quuxterm named ~/bin/x-terminal-emulator
>
> You now see, why i dont like this idea
> It have all signs of being local hack not
> a ready solution

$EDITOR and $PAGER are the exceptions, not the rule.

By your logic, we also need:

$MAILUSERAGENT
$MAILTRANSPORTAGENT
$POSTSCRIPTVIEWER
$NEWSREADER
$XSERVER
$CCOMPILER
$FILELISTER
$FILECOPIER
$FILERENAMER

etc. etc. etc.

> Btw : when we will have all programs using sensible-editor
> make its content:
> --- start ---
> #!/bin/sh
> editor
> forget about EDITOR and VISUAL and wait for users' reaction

Advocacy like yours is enough to make me wish we didn't have
sensible-editor at all.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |      If you have the slightest bit of
Debian GNU/Linux                 |      intellectual integrity you cannot