Re: Source build dependencies?

On 4 Nov 1999, Anselm Lingnau wrote:

> In article <E11jM8I-0002Io-00@polya>,
> Julian Gilbey  <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Oh dear.  I wonder why they are made to conflict and whether there
> > would be any way of rewriting the packages so that they can both be
> > installed.  Maybe ask the maintainer.
>
> I'd say they both want to install /usr/include/tcl.h and friends as
> well as a bunch of (subtly different) man pages.
>
> Actually, this is nothing compared to SuSE, where they had the
> brilliant idea of installing Tcl/Tk 8.0's `tcl.h' as `tcl80.h'. Ick.

What I have done with the gmp libraries is to have the most recent
release, (libgmp2) put its header files in /usr/include/, while the older
package (gmp1) puts its include files in /usr/include/gmp1. When libgmp3
come along (if ever), then libgmp2 will put its include files into
/usr/include/gmp2, and the new package will put its headers into
/usr/include.

Thus, if you want the latest, greatest, gmp libraries, you simply use the
headers in /usr/include/, but if you really must use an earlier version,
then your make file should indicate this by using the correct include
directory.

This allows the different versions of the libraries to be installed
together, and has the added advantage that all the development versions
can be installed on the system at the same time. You just have to be a bit
careful that you use the headers from the library that you link with at
build time.

Memory says that several tk/tcl dependent packages select a specific
version by specifying a versioned include path, and the version of the
library to link with. Seems to work ...

Luck,

Dwarf