Re: all xterms

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 05:15:13PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 07:23:38PM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > > PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
> > > ln -s /usr/bin/X11/<xterm replacement> $HOME/bin/x-terminal-emulator
> >
> > This is a problem.
> > Your way will need a non-standard $PATH on every account to do the trick.
> > We cant make default $PATH to point to the $HOME/bin nor $HOME/.bin
> > cause this directory most probable doesnt exist, we cant create it by
> > default by /etc/skel
>
> That should not matter.  With file not found it doesn't really matter
> whether the file that doesn't exist isn't in a directory that doesn't
> exist.

But I am talking about some global setting. If every account's $PATH
starts by non-existing dir this slows down a system signigicantly.
And it have to START by this cause elseway /usr/bin/ would be used.

> > cause this is discouraged method (from:policy) so every user will have to
> > 1) make dir
> > 2) change every shell's config file for $PATH
> > 3) make a link
> >
> > Try to imagine that you have to set your favourite editor that way !
> > No, I dont like this.
>
> You can set the path in /etc/environment and provide a script
> that supports this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> mkdir -p $HOME/bin
> ln -sf `which $1` $HOME/bin/x-terminal-emulator
> (
> 	IFS=:
> 	for d in $PATH; do
> 		case "$d" in $HOME/bin) exit;; esac
> 	done
> 	>&2 echo "Warning: $HOME/bin not found in \$PATH"
> 	exit 1
> )

I am talking about global way of providing user a easy possibility
to set his own x-terminal-emulator program for menuing system,
xwms etc. You are talking about some local hack-thru.