Re: Preparing the Release / Freezing potato

> I see several problems with freezing potato in one week:
> Therefore I propose to postpone the freeze (and the release) for at
> least two months, hoping to get the FHS issue, Incoming and
> boot-floppies resolved.
>
> Thanks for your attention,
>
> 	Joey

I agree with you.

Can we also require that all packages use debconf in their postinst scripts?
This would be make debian ready for automatic installation, and probably the
only distribution able to do that.

In two months we could easily made the transition to debconf, at least for
the most common packages which are used in common installations.

I have already modified many packages for use of my dpkg-getconfig, which
does more or less what debconf does. This can be a good starting point for
adding full debconf support to debian. We have a list of the more important
packages and a search for the string "dpkg-getconfig" will quickly show all
the locations which must be changed to use debconf. I have also made changes
to some configure scripts which are called by the postinst, for example
/usr/sbin/apache-sslconfig and /usr/sbin/ssl-certificate, to make them use
configuration variables instead of always promting the user. My modified
install scripts can be found at:

  http://boogie.cs.unitn.it/dz/debian/dzinstall/changed-scripts/

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |