Re: Preparing the Release / Freezing potato

> > I see several problems with freezing potato in one week:
> > Therefore I propose to postpone the freeze (and the release) for at
> > least two months, hoping to get the FHS issue, Incoming and
> > boot-floppies resolved.
>
> I agree with you.

I'm not sure whether or not I do: I don't know enough about the
intricacies of the situation.

> Can we also require that all packages use debconf in their postinst scripts?
> This would be make debian ready for automatic installation, and probably the
> only distribution able to do that.

As Joey S. said: no.

> In two months we could easily made the transition to debconf, at least for
> the most common packages which are used in common installations.

No we can't.  Big changes take a big time in volunteer organisations
such as Debian.

An alternative suggestion: if the problems mentioned above are
resolvable soon (which Wichert seems to think is the case), why not
freeze potato next week, with a planned release of late December/early
January and then aim to freeze woody in **April**?  By then, the FHS
issue will be moving along nicely, and debconf may be a little more
stable, etc.  Also, kernel 2.4 might be released during our freeze and
it would be nice to have a distribution with 2.4 support fairly soon
thereafter (but not immediately: we don't want to burden our users
with a majorly buggy kernel if we can avoid it).

Just a thought....

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg