Re: all xterms

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 08:40:36PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 10:55:34AM +0100, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
> > On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > The disadvantage of the alternative concept over some sensible-xterm
> > shell script is, that alternatives are static for all users, while
> > sensible-xterm could be used on a per-user basis (with
> > x-terminal-emulator as the fall back).
>
> Is there any particular reason why the alternatives mechanism couldn't
> simply be fixed so users can select their own alternatives?

alternatives are completely unintuitive, also look at this situation:
user use footerm as his normal xterm. Then he installs barterm and
'export XTERM=barterm' do all the work. After testing he got disliking
barterm so he installs quuxterm and 'export XTERM=quuxterm'. Then
he think quuxterm is also lame and 'export XTERM=footerm'.
How much time would it take by alternatives ???

> Cheers,
> aj
> --
> Anthony Towns <aj@humbug.org.au> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>
> I don't speak for anyone save myself. PGP encrypted mail preferred.
>
>  ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
>         results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
>                                         -- Linus Torvalds

And alternatives are EXACTLY too generic, evil and results
with a lot of bugs (symlinks to the void)