Re: Poor failure recovery

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> Presumably the maintainers of said programs should be the ones to do
> that, not I.
>
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 06:02:32PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > I want to know why we don't have any statically-linked essential
> > > utilities on a standard install.  Shell, cat, cp, ls, mv, rm, fsck,
> > > etc.
> >
> > because (even after the lengthy flamewar on this topic about a
> > month or so ago) nobody has bothered to make packages containing
> > statically-linked versions of these programs.
> >
> > feel free to make a difference. nobody else who cared about static bins
> > has bothered so far.

Maybe you should ask the boot-floppy maintainer or the prorammer of
the busybox (used in the boot-floppy package) to single out the busybox
as a single package.

Busybox is a multifunction binary that performs a number of functions
depending on its actual name. If its called ls, it does an ls and so
on. Normaly you have a lot of hardlinks to busybox.

sash and busybox should have most programs you would need except fsck
I think.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin