Re: Proxy instead of mirror? (was: perhaps sort by priority?)

Norbert Nemec <nobbi@cheerful.com> writes:

> Problem with squid: The first one trying to download a file from the proxy
> is out of luck. For him it takes just as long (maybe even a little longer)
> as downloading it directly. Like the debian mirror here at our university:
> Within the network, I have transfer 500K+, accessing servers outside, I get
> 5 to 10K. If there was some combination - like mirroring important files as
> before and proxying (i.e. mirror on demand) anything else. We could then let
> the individual sited decide how much they want to consider "important".
>
> (All this being pure theory. Of course it depends on how likely it is to be
> the first one to download a file.)

You could just do a "wget ftp://<important dir>/*" to all directories
you want to have present in squid once a day on the system running
squid. Same with files. That way you could keep the current base disks
in squids cache.

The same could also be done with a little perl script or python script
if you like.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin