Poor failure recovery

I want to know why we don't have any statically-linked essential
utilities on a standard install.  Shell, cat, cp, ls, mv, rm, fsck,
etc.

The ultimate in this silliness is fsck, which is dynamically linked,
and is invoked to potentially fix the filesystem on which its
libraries reside.  This tool at least should be provided with a
statically-linked version.

Some might suggest "use the boot floppies."  Not always an option.
Sometimes they don't contain versions compatible with the one on the
installed system, meaning LOTS of extra work.  Besides, why introduce
another failure mode (lost disk, bad floopy, bad floppy drive, etc) to
system recovery?

-- John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |