Re: x-window-manager and x-terminal-emulator (Re: ITP: qvwm and qvbanner)

At Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:08:31 -0400,
Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:

> > At Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:18:53 -0400,
> > Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:

> > > Please try to support the "x-window-manager" alternative and virtual
> > > package.
> > >
> > > See the twm package for an example.
> >
> > I think we should describe "x-window-manager" and "x-terminal-emulator"
> > alternative and these virtual package in debian policy manaual.
> > Or, is there any documentation about it?
>
> Not yet.  The idea is to come up with a workable solution and start
> implementing it to see if there are any problems before giving it the force
> of policy.

Hmm, then how about putting this documentation in xfree86-common (or
other base packages for X environments) instead of debian policy manual,
in order to refer your idea more easily?

> It is pretty easy.
>
> To take care of the virtual package part, just add:
>
> Provides: x-window-manager
>
> to the debian/control file in the stanza that corresponds to the binary
> package containing the window manager.
>
> Alternatives are handled like this in the postinst:
>
> update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-window-manager x-window-manager /usr/bin/X11/twm 20 \
>  --slave /usr/share/man/man1/x-window-manager.1.gz x-window-manager.1.gz /usr/X11R6/man/man1/twm.1x.gz
>
> And like this in the prerm:
>
> update-alternatives --remove x-window-manager /usr/bin/X11/twm
>
> Of course, you should substitute the name of your window manager for twm.
> Also, it is perfectly acceptable to place the window manager binary in
> /usr/bin (and so the manpage would go in /usr/share/man).  In fact, it may
> even be *preferable* to install the window manager outside the X11 tree.

Best Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI