Re: x-window-manager and x-terminal-emulator (Re: ITP: qvwm and qvbanner)

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 10:44:23PM +0900, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:
> At Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:18:53 -0400,
> Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 02:49:01AM +0900, Shuichi OONO wrote:
> > > I intent to package qvwm and qvbanner, which is a Windows 95/98/NT
> > > like window manager for X Window System.
> >
> > Please try to support the "x-window-manager" alternative and virtual
> > package.
> >
> > See the twm package for an example.
>
> I think we should describe "x-window-manager" and "x-terminal-emulator"
> alternative and these virtual package in debian policy manaual.
> Or, is there any documentation about it?

Not yet.  The idea is to come up with a workable solution and start
implementing it to see if there are any problems before giving it the force
of policy.

It is pretty easy.

To take care of the virtual package part, just add:

Provides: x-window-manager

to the debian/control file in the stanza that corresponds to the binary
package containing the window manager.

Alternatives are handled like this in the postinst:

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-window-manager x-window-manager /usr/bin/X11/twm 20 \
 --slave /usr/share/man/man1/x-window-manager.1.gz x-window-manager.1.gz /usr/X11R6/man/man1/twm.1x.gz

And like this in the prerm:

update-alternatives --remove x-window-manager /usr/bin/X11/twm

Of course, you should substitute the name of your window manager for twm.
Also, it is perfectly acceptable to place the window manager binary in
/usr/bin (and so the manpage would go in /usr/share/man).  In fact, it may
even be *preferable* to install the window manager outside the X11 tree.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |      What influenced me to atheism was
Debian GNU/Linux                 |      reading the Bible cover to cover.