Re: Debian and Li18nux ?

Hi.

In article <[🔎] 19991015213054.A3164@wonderland.linux.it>
 md@linux.it (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Oct 15, "James A. Treacy" <treacy@debian.org> wrote:
>
>  >Could someone volunteer to represent us in this group? If
>  >someone already has, please respond (including debian-devel)
>  >so we know it is already done.
> Maybe we should first understand why they are duplicating the
> infrastructure of the Free Translation Project (formerly GNU TP).

I am not a member of li18nux, and don't know the exact their stance,
but they does not seems an Translation Project, but they plan to form
the unified standard way of I18N including kernels, libraries, and
applications, by providing the specification of API and (I hope)
providing the sample implementation.

Someday, a developer from Brazil wrote that they require the special
kernel patch for their language support. We Japanese user has another
special kernel patch for Japanese language filename support for vfat
filesystem. But this approach is just L10N way, and not I18N way.

# more worse, it is filesystem dependent way, because vfat and
# fat (msdos) require different handling for Japanese Language
# filename, because the creator of these filesystem is so incoherent.
# (not the author of the driver in Linux kernel. The very creator
#  of these weird filesystem itself.)

I wish we could use our native language in filenames on every
filesystem, or at least main linux (or hurd) filesystem (ext2 in
linux now, I don't know the hurd's one) without troubles and disorders.

Some members in Debian JP join that li18nux, and one of them inform us
about the annouce. Their activity is currently just their personal,
and Debian JP has nothing with li18nux officially now.

# I propose the draft for the joining mail on jp-policy ml (one of
# mailing-lists in Debian JP), but it has not been sent. or at least
# I don't know the notice of sending it.

I think some Debian member has already join that li18nux,,,

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>