Re: Debian and Li18nux ?

Hi,

From: "Marco d'Itri" <md@linux.it>
Subject: Re: Debian and Li18nux ?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 21:30:55 +0200

> Maybe we should first understand why they are duplicating the
> infrastructure of the Free Translation Project (formerly GNU TP).

Translation (and gettext-ization) is only a part of i18n and I
want to say translation is a small and relatively non-important
part of i18n.  Though I am not a native English speaker, translation
of messages are not what I urgently need, because I can consult a
dictionary to read English messages.  Instead, I am annoyed by
the situation that, for example, almost all editors besides a few
cannot handle Japanese character nor even glibc does not implement
LOCALE properly.  (Though I don't know the internals of glibc nor
many other softwares, I know many softwares in Debian don't work
well with Japanese characters because I am a user of Debian.)
These editors are useless at all.  Dictionaries are not helpful
in such a situation.

Though I don't know much about Li18nux, I have read a report
on Japan Linux Research Society NLS Section (http://www.linuxjp.org/lrs/),
a member of Li18nux, is trying to implement proper LOCALE support
for multibyte characters into glibc in cooperation with developers
of glibc.  I remember they are to implement wchar_t as UCS-4
(32bit version of Unicode), though I hardly understood the technical
points described in the report.

Please read my document 'introduction to i18n' which you can find
at DDP (Debian Documentation Project) page.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>